Mom asked, “ Ok dear, then henceforth kandepohe will be without onion, is that ok?”
“Nooooo !!! pohe without onion?? No way, Give I will cut…..” (tears in my eyes)
But while cutting them again I thought why did I agree!! All for tasty pohe, so……..
Then mom came & started explaining that other than taste there are n number of benefits of onion……
It has moderate amount of proteins( 1.2%), Carbohydrates (11.6%) fiber and good amount of calcium, phosphorous and potassium. The stalk contains good amount of carotene and iron.
1. Local Application of Onion Juice: Face: Reduces Dark Spots & Pigmentation which appears on face. Scalp: It reduces Hair fall & helps to increase Hair growth. Forehead: to get relief from headache. Joints: Reduces Pain & Swelling. Drops of onion juice is used for ear pain and blurred vision.
2. Heart Disease: Eating raw onion (eg. Salads) help to reduce the total cholesterol & triglyceride levels. It also helps in Coronary Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure & Thrombosis.
3. Diabetes : Scientific study of Diabetes have exposed that onion can improve glucose tolerance, reduce fasting blood sugar & lower insulin level
4. Liver disease : It rejuvenates liver , helps to normalize digestion, increases appetite & it helps to relieve constipation.
5. Sciatica , Arthritis: Poultice of onion with other herbs is useful to treat sciatica and osteoarthritis.
6. Cough: Red small onions can be used as an expectorant.
7. Bleeding disorder & Anaemia: White onion is recommended for bleeding piles and nose bleeding. Stalks are also used in the treatment of anaemia.
8. Urinary disorder : Onions are beneficial in the treatment of burning micturation & Urine retention
9. Vajikar: Onion and its seeds are known to help in erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation and male infertility. It helps to increase libido, quality and quantity of semen. It is a very good vajikara.
10. Cancer: Sulphur compounds present in onion will help to prevent the growth of cancer cells.
The onion can lead to migraine in some people and flatulence