Garlic has been used as both food and medicine not only in India but also in Egypt, France, and Europe etc…
Egypt- Builders of the ancient pyramids were said to eat garlic daily for enhanced endurance and strength.
In early 18th-century France, gravediggers drank crushed garlic in wine believing it would protect them from the plague that killed many people in Europe
During both World Wars I and II, soldiers were given garlic to prevent gangrene.
And today garlic is used to –
1. To boost the immune system – Garlic makes a wonderful health supplement for many people. Garlic is packed with vitamins and nutrients. Some of these include protein, potassium, Vitamins A, B, B2 and C, Calcium, Zinc and many others.
2. Heart Disease– Garlic helps to prevent heart disease.
a. Atherosclerosis- It may slow down atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries- plaque buildup in the arteries that can block the blood flow & may lead to heart attack /stroke.)
b.It also act as a blood-thinner (anti coagulant), which may help prevent heart attacks and strokes.
c. High cholesterol– There are now over 12 studies published around the world that confirm that garlic can reduce blood cholesterol . It lowers the bad cholesterol levels ( serum triglycerides and LDL-cholesterol ). It helps to increase good cholesterol levels ( HDL Cholesterol).
d. Garlic is useful to lower High blood pressure.
Two or three cloves a day have cut the risk of subsequent heart attacks in half in heart patients.
3. Diabetes– Helps regulate your blood sugar levels.
4. Weight control– it’s used for weight reduction treatment by many ayurveda practioners.
5. Cancer – Garlic is rich in antioxidants (especially aged garlic). Garlic may strengthen the immune system, helping the body fight diseases such as cancer. In test tubes, garlic seems to have anti-cancer activity.
6. Skin– Several studies report that a garlic gel, applied to the skin, may treat ringworm, jock itch, and athlete’s foot.
7. Decongestant and expectorant– Used in Cold, Cough, Asthma, Chronic Bronchitis & hoarseness of voice
8. De-worming – Garlic kills roundworms, Ascaris lumbricoides, which is the most common type of intestinal parasite.
9. Natural antibiotic – Modern science has shown that garlic is a powerful natural antibiotic (broad-spectrum rather than targeted). It’s effective against toxic bacteria, viruses, and fungus. It is available in form of pills, capsules, liquid and actual raw cloves
10. Alzheimer’s Disease – Known for its neuroprotective abilities in vitro aged garlic has been looked to for multiple benefits that some researchers believe may address a number of underlying mechanisms which contribute to the classic Alzheimer beta-amyloid plaque.
Discuss with Ayurveda Experts if you have any query –