Panchakarma is Ayurveda’s primary purification & detoxification procedure. Panchakarma includes – Vamana, Virechana, Nasya , Basti, Raktmokshan. The series of five therepies help to remove deeply rooted stress & illness from your life.
Seasonal Panchkarama :
- Rainy season – Snehan ( Oil application) & Basti ( Enema)
- Winter – Vamana & Nasya ( Vommting & Nasal drops)
- Summer – Virechan ( Purgation)
Importance of Panchakarma:
1. To maintain health
2. To prevent & cure disease
3. It gives non specific immunity against any disesae.
Basti( Enema) :
Basti is highly beneficial as a rejuvenenating treatment. It is considered as highly regarded of all panchakarma treatments. It removes toxins from all of the doshas – Vata , Pitta & Kapha through colon. Medicated oil / ghee & herbal decoction are given as enema.
Basti treatment is used for :
- Digestive disorder, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Constipation
- Backache, Sciatica, Arthritis, Spondylosis
- Obesity, Heart Disease
- Hemiplegia, Paraplegia.
- Sexual debility & Infertility.
Here is the recipe for monsoon you all were eagerly waiting for…enjoy the season without any hassles of health problems.
- 1 clove garlic, peeled & chopped
- Ghee- 2 Tsp
- Scrapped Coconut – 2-3 tsp
- Black mustard seed- 1 tsp
- Cumin seed – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- fresh
- Cinnamon – ¼ tsp
- Jaggery/ Sugar- 1 tsp
Cook tomatoes in 4 cup of water.
Lets the tomatoes cool down, remove its skin & smash it.
Add coconut, ginger, garlic, and chili, ½ cup of water & tomato puree.
Blend until liquefied
Heat a soup pot on medium flame & add ghee, mustard seeds & curry leaves. Stir until the seeds pop, and then add the coconut mixture.
Cook for one min then pour in the blended tomatoes, cinnamon, salt, Jaggery & ½ cup water, let it boil, cover & turn off the heat.
- It contains large amount of vitamins, minerals & antioxidants.
- Best Appetizer
- Tomato contains lycopene the highly powerful antioxidant which helps in fighting cancer.
- It protects liver from cirrhosis.
- Dissolves gall stones.
- It’s a natural antiseptic.
- Nicotinic acid in tomato helps in reducing Cholesterol.
- Useful in Diabetes if Jaggery/ sugar is not used.
Have you enjoyed the first rain of this season…..What you did….danced? Had garamagarm Vadapav & tea…… ride on bike………Great
But be careful…monsoon is like festival season but also it is a season of many diseases & infections. Sudden changes in temperature lowers down the immunity & make us susceptible to many diseases like hyperacidity, indigestion, skin disorder, hair problem etc…
According to Ayurveda rainy season is also the time for aggravation of Pitta, which the functional energy of our body dominant in fire element & responsible for metabolism & digestion. Digestion is weak during monsoon.
Hey don’t worry guys…I am not scaring you …..Follow the following tips & enjoy monsoon.
- Eat light & easily digestible foods like moong dal, khichree, steamed vegetable.
- Avoid heavy, hot acidic, salty, deep fried foods, junk foods & leafy vegetable.
- Be careful while eating out & make sure you go to a place which is clean & hygienic.
- Eat lot of bitter vegetables like bitter guard (Kerala) & bitter herbs like neem, fenugreek & turmeric as it is prevents infection. Bitter taste neutralizes Pitta.
- Use lighter oils like sunflower oil, olive oil, corn oil, cow’s ghee & avoid heavy oils like mustard oil, butter, peanut oil.
- Wash all green vegetables & fruits thoroughly before using them.
- Massage with sesame oil at least twice in week also keeps you healthy during rainy season.
- Hot water is better than cold water to drink.
- Avoid afternoon sleep.
- Those who are prone to joint pain avoid sitting /lying down on floors as it aggravates pain.
Now I am sure you are applying above tips & will enjoy monsoon without falling sick…:)
… I apologize to those people who are waiting for spicy & healthy recipes….will write soon
Hope this is last summer drink I am going to serve this summer…
On next Wednesday I would like to serve you something hot, spicy (but healthy) recipe to welcome the rainy season…..
Watermelon – ½ fruit
Sugar- 3-4 tsp
Lemon – ½ fruit (or as per taste)
Extract juice from watermelon in a blender.
Add sugar & lemon juice.
Mix it well.
Known for its nutritious value, refreshing watermelon juice is the best way to beat the summer heat.
Watermelon is rich in antioxidants vitamin C & A which also helps in preventing various diseases.
Watermelon has rich source of potassium which helps to regulate blood pressure & keeps heart healthy.
Seeds are packed with protein, calcium, iron, zinc & phosphorus.
It is important addition for low fat & low cholesterol diet.
Watermelon juice helps to promote weight loss.
Watermelon juice cleanses your kidney & bladder.
It acts like natural Viagra & increases insulin sensitivity.
It also protects you from early aging.