In last 5 years, so called obesity panaceas (a remedy for almost all diseases) have been banned in India. There is only one approved anti obesity drug in India, which is mildly effective.
Do we need only medicines to reduce weight?
Little modification in your lifestyle can prevent obesity. Positive changes in your eating & exercise behavior are essential for sustain reduction in weight. You can assess yourself at home & start lifestyle modification.
Assessment of Obesity:
- Measure your BMI- http://justforhearts.org/health-tools/bmi-calculator/
- If BMI >25 – Measure waist circumference. If Waist circumference found above cutoff point. For Male – ≤ 90cm & For Female – ≤ 80cm
- Conduct clinical & lab investigations- Heart Rate, Blood Pressure, BSL fasting, Lipid profile.
- Assess & screen for depression, eating & mood disorder.
- Treat co morbidities & other health risk if present.
- Assess readiness to change behaviors & barriers to weight loss.
- Devise Goals & Lifestyle modification program.
- Health team to advice lifestyle modification program.
Weight Loss Goals:
5 – 10 % body weight Or ½ to 1 kg per week
Lifestyle modification program:
Nutrition: Reduce energy Intake by 500 – 1000 kcal/day
Physical activity: Initially – 30 mins, moderate intensity exercise for 3-5 days per week.
Cognitive behavior therapy.