Zhang et al reported that gender might affect the action of garlic on plasma cholesterol & glucose levels of normal subjects. A systematic review of effectiveness of garlic as an antihyperlipidemic agent included 10 studies & found that six studies garlic was effective in reducing serum cholesterol levels.
The average drop in –
- Total cholesterol was 9.9%,
- LDL 11.4% &
- Triglycerides 9.9%.
Other direct cardio protective effect of garlic in humans have also reported-
- Decrease in unstable angina
- Increase in the elastic property of blood vessels
- Decrease in peripheral arterial occlusion diseases
- Increases peripheral blood flowing in healthy subjects
- Inhibiting the progression of coronary calcification in patients receiving satin therapy.
Some scientist conclude in their review that although garlic appears to hold promise in reducing parameters associated with cardiovascular disease, more in depth & well designed studies are required.