Moderate amount of physical activity can greatly improve your health & quality of life.
Reduces the risk of developing heart disease & stroke.
Helps to lower your bad cholesterol & raise the good cholesterol.
Helps to prevent High blood pressure & also helps to lower High blood pressure.
2. Nervous System
Improve concentration, creativity & performance.
Reduces stress, frustration & stress.
3. Digestive system
Helps control appetite.
Improves flexibility & posture and reduces back pain.
Strengthens bones & improves muscle strength & endurance.
Reduces the risk of osteoporosis
Slows the rate of decline in lung function.
Improve body ability to use oxygen.
Helps to maintain a healthy body weight.
Reduces the risk of developing diabetes & some cancers also.
Improves blood circulation to all body parts.
Improves the immune system.
Improves self –image & sense of well being.
Post Angioplasty Exercise:
- Start with very low intensity exercise like walking, climbing stairs etc.
- Choose an exercise you love to do. Its easier to keep up.
- Warm up before the exercise & cool down after you finish the exercise.
- Try exercise at the same time everyday as this is better accepted by the body clock.
- Wait for one hour after meals & one hour after bathing.
- Wear Comfortable shoes & clothing’s appropriate to weather.
- Do not start heavy exercise right away. Slowly increase the intensity.
- Avoid exercising in extreme Heat & extreme cold.
- Do not exercise after meals & alcohols.
- Do not squeeze your whole weeks exercise in the weekend only.
- Don’t overdo. If you are feeling low or tired stop. Over exertion can be dangerous.
Stop Exercise if you are getting breathlessness, chest pain or discomfort & talk to your doctor.
Many of us have probably heard that yoga is certainly a good exercise. Maybe some of us have even tried yoga.
But what are the specific health benefits you can expect to enjoy from doing yoga regularly?
The practice of yoga is much more than a system of physical exercise for health. It is an ancient path to spiritual growth.
- Creates a toned & flexible body.
- Improve posture.
- Improves Respiration / breathing.
- Improve Energy & vitality.
- Help to relives pain.
- Helps to maintain metabolism/ maintain weight.
- Slow aging process- Helps to look & feel younger than your age
- Increased relaxation.
- Better sleep
- More enjoyable sexuality.
- Balanced workout of all muscles
- Regulates hormones & endocrine system
- Maintain blood pressure
- Improved cardiovascular efficiency
- It helps to lowers bad cholesterol levels 7 increased good cholesterol
- Stimulated circulation
- It gives a better gastrointestinal health
- Stronger immune system
- Helps to maintain metabolism
- Organ stimulation & function
- Higher pain tolerance
- Improved respiration
- Slower pulse rate
- Encourages positive thoughts & self acceptance.
- Increased body awareness & overall calm feeling
- Improved concentration, focus & memory
- Helps to relax & handle stressful situations more easily.
- Decreased depression & negativity
- Mind, body & soul connection
- Improved mood & outlook on life
According to recent WHO statistics, 11% of India’s population is overweight & 2% of population are obese.
In last 5 years, so called obesity panaceas (a remedy for almost all diseases) have been banned in India. There is only one approved anti obesity drug in India, which is mildly effective.
Do we need only medicines to reduce weight?
Little modification in your lifestyle can prevent obesity. Positive changes in your eating & exercise behavior are essential for sustain reduction in weight. You can assess yourself at home & start lifestyle modification.
Assessment of Obesity:
- Measure your BMI- http://justforhearts.org/health-tools/bmi-calculator/
- If BMI >25 – Measure waist circumference. If Waist circumference found above cutoff point. For Male – ≤ 90cm & For Female – ≤ 80cm
- Conduct clinical & lab investigations- Heart Rate, Blood Pressure, BSL fasting, Lipid profile.
- Assess & screen for depression, eating & mood disorder.
- Treat co morbidities & other health risk if present.
- Assess readiness to change behaviors & barriers to weight loss.
- Devise Goals & Lifestyle modification program.
- Health team to advice lifestyle modification program.
Weight Loss Goals:
5 – 10 % body weight Or ½ to 1 kg per week
Lifestyle modification program:
Nutrition: Reduce energy Intake by 500 – 1000 kcal/day
Physical activity: Initially – 30 mins, moderate intensity exercise for 3-5 days per week.
Cognitive behavior therapy.